Saturday, July 30, 2011

Ever Hear of Mid East Summer Madness?

Did you know that I produced a show in August 1996 that was titled Mid East Summer Madness? It was the precursor to The Awards of Belly Dance Shows that started in 1997. And it was just before I formed IAMED.

It was held at a beautiful little theatre that was located at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn in North Hollywood, California. Delilah was the headliner and the show also featured Sultana, Siwa, Sabrina, Veena, Neena and others. Plus we had the live music of John Bilezikjian on oud and Souhail Kaspar on tabla.

I remember Fahtiem attended as well as my friends Sue Turner and Eileen Carhart. I emceed the show and threw in tidbits of humor and gave away silly prizes. My boyfriend at the time, Terry ran sound. My friend John was the video photographer. During the day Delilah taught a couple of workshops. They were well attended.

Mid East Summer Madness was a test run for IAMED and my future ventures in producing events.

I look back on this show with fond memories and I feel fortunate that I was able to get such great talent. I believe anyone that attended the show also felt fortunate that they attended the show. Even more so because while we taped the show, it has never been released on video.

Mid East Summer Madness was the beginning of great things!

Suzy Evans

No comments: